Monday, March 7, 2011

mr. wants

I recently went on a date and wanted to share just a snippet of it.

Let me just preface this by saying that I did have a fun time on this date, and he was a pretty decent & I think well-intentioned guy. I'm not posting this to be mean or high & mighty, I just think it's a little funny and is something I want to remember.

[in the car, just driving around]

mr. wants: "What is the most money you would ever spend on a house?"
me: "I don't know, I'm not really sure what you mean. How much money do I have?"
mr. wants: "As much as you want. At least 10 million."
me: "Uhhhhh, I don't know. It depends on a lot of things. What city I'm in, the neighborhood, new vs. old construction. I guess I would never spend more than a million. Anything beyond would make me feel sick for the rest of my life".
mr. wants: "Really, I'd go for 1.5 million. If I stay single, maybe just a 3300 sq. foot house with a 3-car garage. But definitely something more if I'm married."
me: "Cleaning a house with nine bathrooms sounds like torture."
mr. wants: "That's why you'd have a cleaning service come in at least once a month, and you'd maintain the everyday upkeep."

[Okay, kind of a strange thing to talk about on a first date. And a 3-car garage for a single person? Heaven help me].

it gets better...

[while eating dessert]

mr. wants: [starts describing all his toys. His motorcycle, mountain bike, road bike. Then proceeds to tell me how much he spent on each part of the road bike - as in dollars]. "The handle bars? $750. The pedals? $350. Yada, yada, yada. He goes through each and every piece of the bike. Then mr. wants says that if he has a lot of money one day, he would want to buy an expensive sports car with cash [i.e. $100,000].

me: [insert covert eye roll.] "You sure are a dreamer, aren't you?".
mr. wants: "Well yeah, aren't you?"
me: "I'm a dreamer, but I just have different dreams than you."

Okay, okay, so I know this snap shot is kind of one sided. I'm not trying to portray myself as the heroine, and mr. wants the villain of... well, wanting. I definitely have some crazy ideas in this head of mine [like restoring an old school house and living in it] and I want, want, want all the time [like my Christmas wishes], but I just look back on what the majority of our conversation was about, and I have to laugh. I kept thinking, "man, if we go on a second date, I hope we can eliminate talking about material items".

I'm looking forward to date nights, a really supportive & loving husband, having a big church calling, kids running around in Saltwater sandals, a retro house full of color.

Those are the things I dream about. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. man, i hadn't heard all the details of the first conversation! very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your dreams. Keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete