Monday, September 20, 2010

the circle of life

This was me the day after I found out I passed the NCLEX (RN licensure exam). Hallelujah I passed on the first try, because it's really quite awful. You are finger printed, have photos taken of your palm veins, must rid your pockets of everything, and are filmed the entire time. You get anywhere from 75-265 questions. What an ordeal!

My mom and I were co-camp directors for our ward this year at stake YW camp. Having to be up there waiting for my results was the longest 36 hours of my life. I left camp and drove down to Salt Lake just to look up my name on the licensing website. I have to tell you, I have never been so nervous. I thought I had failed for sure.


Seeing my name listed as a Registered Nurse was awesome. What a relief! I passed! I called Granite bakery the next morning and had these American Red Cross-inspired cookies made up to bring back to the girls at camp.

That was in July and this weekend I had an experience that made me question my career as an RN. I had my first code. The circumstances were random and unpreventable, but I thought my life was over (Am I ever dramatic?). Things went as well as they could have, and the patient was just fine. It's not an experience I would wish on anyone (because it's so dang scary), but I have to say that it has made me a better nurse.

I love my job. And more than that, I love where I work. My unit is the best one in the entire hospital. I feel so lucky to have found it and I'm pretty sure I'll never leave until I become an old lady patient myself.

So how in the heck does this post tie in with my title? Well, I also went to the Lion King with Margaret this weekend. Incredible, it was! I felt about five years old, with eyes as big as saucers watching in awe of all the costumes, music & scenery. It was amazing.


And I was reminded that when life gets you feeling down in the dumps, you pick yourself up again and move forward. I believe it was Randy Pausch, the author of The Last Lecture, who said, "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted".

How true it is.

My day at work today was wonderful. Busy, fast-paced, and perfect. I wouldn't have it any other way.

7 comments:

  1. you are a wonderful nurse and even more so a wonderful daughter and the best freak i know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What darling pictures! The Lion King was the perfect play for you two to watch together. Will you be my personal nurse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great and very true quote about experience! You are great and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't go to bed until I read your post after talking to you. Both really great experiences. I too learned something similar from lion king. Amazing what you can take from a children's story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be honored to be a nurse for all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so cute. I've been meaning to ask you what your blog address was again--but the other night found it on your facebook. Are you ok I added you?I didn't know you had a code already. They are way scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so nice, Kellee! I'm glad you found it and I'm totally fine being added. Thanks for checking!

    ReplyDelete