Wednesday, September 15, 2010

tender mercies

I have been caring for an older lady and dear friend for 3.5 years now. She is sharp as a tack, but her body just hasn't been able to keep up with her spirit. Darn that aging!

She has a super cute neighbor that lives right across the street. She is 100.5 years old. I think including the half year is important because she has definitely earned it. I went to drop off a plant from Margaret (the woman I care for) two weeks ago at her neighbor Ruth's house. I had been over there a few times and thought she was so great.

As I chatted with her this time, it became apparent that sweet Ruth was feeling pretty down. She told me that her vision was going, her back hurt, and she was tired of feeling so shaky. My heart broke for her. Here was this cute lady, living all alone, and feeling sad.

I cried walking back across the street to Margaret's. I am such a sap. But I knew immediately that Margaret and I had to have Ruth over for a fun lunch. Margaret was on board with the idea and called Ruth back. A date was picked and that day was today.

I had a sinking feeling from the minute we picked our lunch date and had the impression it should be moved up. Margaret and I looked at her schedule and an earlier time just didn't work, so we kept the same day, invited another one of Margaret's helpers and my good friend, and decided to have Ruth over for dinner.

Margaret searched cookbooks for hours and picked a few recipes. We planned the menu, I bought some cheery fabric, made napkins & came up with favors, and things were all set. I was to drive across the street to pick up Ruth, drive back across the street to Margaret's, and then the party would begin! I can't even tell you how excited I was for this to happen.

Flash forward to yesterday. I was on my lunch break at work and checked my phone. As I listened to my voicemail, my heart dropped. Ruth was very weak and had been moved to a care facility. It was probably a good thing I was eating alone in the break room because I totally started to cry again. I felt so bad. Worried. Guilty. Disappointed. And completely bummed that I hadn't followed through better with my initial feeling.

When I was at Margaret's today, I made a few phone calls and found out where Ruth was. We decided to go visit this afternoon. And do you think we could go visit Ruth without taking treats? No way!

These cakes were originally going to be the "place cards" for the table. We took them along and off we went to the care center.


Margaret and Ruth were absolutely sweet. My heart turned to mush watching them together. They held hands and Margaret told Ruth what a great neighbor she has been and then commented on how lovely Ruth's room at the care center was. And even with all of Margaret's struggles, she offered to comb Ruth's hair and fix her blankets. Is that not the cutest?


Here we all are together. Ruth is an absolute sweetheart. She was so delicate laying there in her bed. Visiting her with Margaret and MarRissa was a special experience that is hard to put into words. Even though we had a change of plans, I am so glad we were all able to visit with each other. I witnessed many wonderful tender mercies this afternoon.



Get feeling better soon, Ruth! We want you to leave that care center and have dinner with us!

4 comments:

  1. Julia, you just bought a ticket straight to heaven for your kindness. I love the place cards. This is the sweetest post I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a nice thing you did today! i am sure that ruth appreciated the love she felt from all of you. i am so proud that you are my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia-
    This is an amazing post! You are so sweet and a role model for all of us.
    xoxo
    Beep

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, you're incredible! Whoever you marry is one lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete