Tuesday, October 12, 2010

welfare square love

One of my favorite things to do is volunteer at Welfare Square. I mentioned this place before in my conference milk bottle post, but they truly do wonderful things down there. There's a bakery, a cannery, a dairy, a storehouse (basically a grocery store), and a DI (love!).

Products are manufactured & packaged, then shipped off to places all over the world to help those in need. It's pretty amazing, and our church has the opportunity to volunteer there every few months.

Today I had the chance to go down to the bakery. The bread was baked early, early this morning & it was our job to slice, bag, and stack loaves of wheat bread.

And boy howdy, it was so fun!

You get to wear some pretty flattering accessories - like these sexy hair nets (woot! woot!)

This is my dear friend, Cristie. We teamed up with Mike from our ward and labeled ourselves the "dream team". We flew through racks of bread. There was one other group who wasn't quite as dreamy (i.e. agile). I think we pretty much did 10 loaves for every one loaf they finished. But who was counting, right?


At the end of each shift, the volunteers get to take home a loaf of bread. My mom and I always jokingly tell each other that anything produced by the church must be sacred - whether it's BYU Creamery milk, products from Welfare Square, or Lion House rolls.

All are yummy. All are useful. And all are made entirely for the benefit of others.


2 comments:

  1. Really Julia, are you not perfect?! I love looking at your blog because I see how much greater you even are (if thats possible, but I already thought you were pretty great!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even I don't look too bad in that silly hat standing next to you! What a fun afternoon we had working with Mike. We were pretty quick. Let me know when you want to have a go at it again!

    ReplyDelete